Skip to main content
CCT adjourns Saraki’s trial to March 8


Senate President, Bukola Saraki
The Code Of Conduct Tribunal on Tuesday adjourned the trial of Senate President Bukola Saraki till March 8 to enable the defence reply to the prosecution’s written address.

Mr. Saraki was arraigned in 2015 by the federal government for alleged false declaration of asset after he served as governor of Kwara State between 2003 and 2011.

The tribunal last year acquitted him on all the charges and discharged him but the Court of Appeal sustained three of the counts in the charges after an appeal by the prosecution, and referred them back to the tribunal for retrial.

At the previous hearing February 6, Mr. Saraki had closed his defence after presenting only one witness instead of the four witnesses he initially indicated he would call.

The hearing on Tuesday started with an argument between the defence counsel, Kanu Agabi, and prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, on who submitted brief late.

Mr. Agabi argued that the defence was eager for the trial to be brought to an end but that the prosecution was delaying the trial.

Both counsel were supposed to submit their written addresses on Tuesday.

According to Mr.Agabi ,the prosecution counsel only sent him his written address on Monday, leaving the defence with no time to go over it and prepare its reply.

But Mr. Rotimi argued that it was the defense that was delaying the process by not filling their brief on time.

He recalled that he had asked for 14 days to submit his brief while the defense asked for seven days but that the defence could not meet up within that seven days it asked for.

“We filled our own written address less than the period we asked for. If anybody has made it impossible for this trial to go on, it is the defendant and not Rotimi Jacobs, (SAN)” the prosecution counsel said

The defence counsel, Mr Agabi responded by saying weekend days were not to be counted among the days he requested for to make his submission.

“We ask Your Lordship for time to check what he has submitted in his address,” he said to the judge, Danladi Umar.

Mr. Umar granted the request of the defence and adjourned the case to 8 March.

The judge said on the adjourned date, both counsel must submit their written addresses, urging them to make the addresses brief and to be concluded on the same day to enable him set a day to deliver the judgement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Late Raphael Edem laid to rest

Late Raphael Edem laid to rest  ...Our candle is broken - Commumity ...my father means so much to people - Family  By IFIOKABASI ABIA  It was a moment of encomium, glamour and fanfare as a doyen of all time, Late Noble Brother Raphael Edem , KSJI laid to rest in his country home. The funeral mass was conducted last weekend by St. Mary's Catholic Church, Ikot Inuen, Nkwot, Ikono Local Government Area. In his homily, the Bishop of Uyo Diocese, His Lordship Most Rev. Dr. John Ayah said the Life we live is not our own and we should do every thing to please our Creator so that when the day of transition to glory come we will not be found wanting. According to Ayah, "I knew our brother very well, Late Noble Brother Raphael Edem lying here. He was dedicated to the service and things of God. He is a testament of encouragement, focus, passion, support for the needy and never give up." "Late Edem never seat on the fence. He was hospitable and accommodating to all who came his ...

LG Poll: Dorah Ebong charges Chairmanship candidates on patriotism

  LG Poll: Dorah Ebong charges Chairmanship candidates on patriotism  The Federal Character Commissioner representing Akwa Ibom State, Obongawan Dorah  Ebong, has charged all the Chairmanship candidates of all political parties that feature in the forthcoming, October 5, 2024 Local Government Election to be patriotic and work for the overall interest of Akwa Ibom citizens. Ebong made this charged  during a one day Critical Stakeholders Engagement  with the theme : "Towards a free , fair and  credible 2024 Local Government Election in Akwa Ibom State" held yesterday in Uyo, Federal Character Boss who was Mother of the day , tasked Chairmanship candidates to embark on life touching projects to raise the standard of living in the rural communities. In her words, "If those contesting for chairmanship position in our various Local Government Areas are not here for the signing of peace accord, it means they're seeking for selfish interest rather than serving , pr...

GOV ENO TO EMPOWER 3,055 HOUSEHOLDS, ENTREPRENEURS WITH OVER N600M, TODAY

GOV ENO TO EMPOWER 3,055 HOUSEHOLDS, ENTREPRENEURS WITH OVER N600M, TODAY  By Emma Akpabio  Barely few weeks after he empowered 800 budding entrepreneurs with N400 million, Akwa Ibom State Governor, Pastor Umo Eno will tomorrow disburse over N600 Million to the beneficiaries of the Akwa Ibom Covid-19 Action Recovery and Economic Stimulus, AK-CARES, Phase 2.  The empowerment programme scheduled for noon at the prestigious Ibom Hall in Uyo, is part of the activities to commemorate the Governor’s one year in office.  In an interview with journalists in Uyo, the Chairman steering committee of AK-CARES and Commissioner for Economic Development, Mr Emem Bob, said funds will be disbursed under Result Area 1 and Disbursement Linked Indicators, DLI 1.3 Livelihood Grants as well as DLI 3.2 Nano, Micro and small business Enterprise.  “The Wednesday empowerment programme will witness N150,000 each, doled out to 1,055 beneficiaries of livelihood grants under DLI1.3, N18 mill...